In a surprise upset of 21st century technology norms, Oak Ridge Countrywide Laboratory has manufactured a personal computer that is, in actuality, extremely huge. The Frontier supercomputer is also major to in shape in a pocket or a backpack, like present-day most popular personal computers, and it is also as well huge to healthy in a mid-tower Pc case, which can easily hold an RTX 3090. How much more substantial could a computer system actually want to be?
Considerably even bigger, insists Oak Ridge Countrywide Laboratory. ORNL’s Frontier (opens in new tab) has been heralded as the “first true exascale equipment,” setting a report for general performance of 1.02 exaflops for each second on a superior-general performance benchmark. An exaflop is a person quintillion floating issue functions per 2nd, and if you happen to be not absolutely sure how huge a quintillion is, it truly is a million million millions, aka a billion billions. NASA estimates that the Milky Way is a person quintillion kilometers across.
So, really big.
Frontier established the exaflop history applying AMD’s 64-core 2GHz Epyc processors, which you can buy yourself for only $8,000 or so. But you can expect to need a handful of of them, since the Frontier has a total of 8,730,112 cores.
That is 136,408 AMD Epyc processors. This personal computer is unfashionably huge: it will not in shape beneath your desk, or even in your house except if you knock down quite a few partitions or have a significantly larger residence than I do.
The Frontier supercomputer is also remarkably efficient despite filling up various server banking institutions, just about every bigger than Andre the Giant. Frontier is now #1 on the Prime 500 supercomputer list and the Environmentally friendly 500, which prices for performance per watt.
Here are some far more big numbers:
- Frontier normally takes up 7,300 square ft.
- Frontier circulates about 6,000 gallons of h2o for every minute to continue to be interesting.
- Frontier “currently has attained 1.102 Exaflop/s working with 8,730,112 cores. The new HPE Cray EX architecture combines 3rd Gen AMD Epyc CPUs optimized for HPC and AI with AMD Intuition 250X accelerators and Slingshot-11 interconnect.”
- “This method is able to deliver a whopping 1.102 Exaflop/s HPL benchmark score while maintaining its ability effectiveness at 55.23 gigaflops/watt”
- “The procedure to assert the No. 1 place for the Inexperienced 500 is the Frontier Take a look at & Improvement Procedure (TDS). With 120,832 full cores and an HPL benchmark of 19.2 PFlop/s, the Frontier TDS machine is in essence just 1 rack identical to the actual Frontier method. Therefore, it helps make perception that it is outmatched by Frontier’s 7,733,248 cores and HPL benchmark of 1.102 Exaflop/s. On the other hand, Frontier TDS has some extraordinary efficiency abilities, with a electricity efficiency of 62.8 gigaflops/watt.”
- Andre the Giant was 7 toes, 4 inches tall and weighed 520 pounds. Square footage unfamiliar.