Ontario’s Electronic ID: Know-how and requirements
Linked details on electronic ID
Sharing our prepare
On this web site you will uncover our prepare for the technological innovation and requirements we are commencing with for electronic ID in Ontario. They will tutorial our electronic ID tasks the two internally and in the electronic ID ecosystem.
This program is a commencing point and an opportunity to established the initial route for the province, partners and innovators. We are sharing it to show our initial way and intent, and to have interaction with and prepare the market early in the procedure.
For now, the data on this web site is geared in the direction of all those who will produce products and solutions in the Ontario ecosystem. More available information about digital ID technological know-how will be readily available in this article as the software matures and we continue to improve and update the internet site.
Ontario’s Digital ID will be able to function at “internet scale” (securely, reliably, at high volumes, globally) and give buyers a very simple, frictionless knowledge.
Ontario’s Electronic ID will:
- comply with government and market specifications, frameworks and legislation together with:
- align with emerging know-how requirements
- be adaptable and let us to pivot as specifications evolve
- assistance a frictionless and equitable person encounter
- be interoperable and created to align and do the job with other Canadian jurisdictions
- use open-supply remedies wherever attainable even though contributing what we’ve realized and made with the electronic identification neighborhood
- use open up specifications and persuade non-public-sector current market innovation
Self-sovereign id have confidence in product
Ontario’s Digital ID will use self-sovereign identification for the reason that it presents the holder regulate about the credentials in their wallet. In addition, we are layering on these additional privateness-preserving capabilities:
- Consent – The verifier have to check with you to approve their request to validate your qualifications.
- Info minimization – The verifier can only accessibility what they want to ensure you are eligible for their assistance. For example, if you want to confirm that you are outdated adequate to get a lottery ticket, the shop clerk would only know that you are 18 or more mature – not your real age, birth day or something else about you.
- Anonymity – Your qualifications are not tracked or traced.
Details minimization and anonymity are enabled by zero-understanding proofs, whereby a verifier can verify that they’ve confirmed a particular detail about you devoid of in fact figuring out that issue.
Our technology roadmap
We are setting up the basis of Ontario’s Digital ID across 4 significant ability locations, including:
Confirms identity details is accurate and legitimate
“I use knowledge from my current physical ID cards in the course of on the net transactions”
Confirms the rightful proprietor of the identification knowledge is resent
“On the web transactions use picture matching and other systems to confirm I am who I say I am”
Electronic evidence of identity is verified for integrity and validity
“My electronic wallet retains safe, transportable and reusable id data that can be confirmed in authentic time equally on line and in real everyday living”
Ecosystems and platforms
Connections to both inner authorities and exterior personal-sector info sources to validate identification specifics
“I profit from widespread requirements and joined methods that make it even a lot easier for me to confirm who I am on line and in individual for many works by using”
The verification course of action
The verifiable credential design assures trust throughout the course of action.
Initial, the holder requests a digital ID and goes by an ID proofing process to establish their id. As soon as the ID requirements are satisfied, the issuer will make a electronic ID credential, challenge it to the holder and publish the public cryptographic keys affiliated with that electronic ID to the verifiable data registry, which utilizes dispersed ledger technological know-how.
When the holder would like to use their electronic ID (for example to verify their age at the liquor shop), they may tap or scan their digital ID on the verifier’s reader to existing (with their consent) the expected id facts. This interaction triggers a request to the verifiable knowledge registry to retrieve the Ontario government’s general public important, which confirms that the holder’s offered credential is correct and hasn’t been tampered with.
Verifiable credentials specifications
Verifiable credentials are the basis of electronic ID. Ontario’s Digital ID will be primarily based on technology expectations from:
These are the technologies criteria that we are at the moment taking into consideration.
OIDC – OpenID Foundation